Now, I love me some turkey burgers and this recipe is very very good!! The best thing that I like about the turkey burger is that it is virtually grease free!! I hate making burgers where there is about 1/8" of grease still in the pan. Imagine how much of that is still IN the burger itself!! YUCK!
- 1/4 cup fat-free or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (optional, but I put onion in everything!! )
- 1 egg white
- 4 whole wheat burger buns, split (or you can use bread or bagel thins too. yummy!
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
You can cook these either it in a skillet or on the grill but..they are even good if you bake them in the oven!! In small bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
In large bowl, stir turkey, oats, soy sauce, seasoning blend, onion and egg white until well mixed. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Cook uncovered over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning once, until thermometer inserted in center of patty reads 165°F. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on bottom of each bun. Place burgers over mayonnaise; top with lettuce, tomatoes and top of buns.
Photo: Courtesy of Tablespoon