- 16 thyme sprigs, divided
- 4 medium beets, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 8 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 fennel bulbs, cored and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 425°. Place 8 thyme sprigs, beets, carrots, and turnips in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat.
Arrange vegetables on a cookie sheet. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
Place remaining 8 thyme sprigs, garlic, onions, and fennel in a bowl. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
Combine beet mixture and onion mixture; sprinkle with chopped thyme.
Source: Cooking Light DECEMBER 2010
Nutritional Information Amount per serving Calories: 103 Fat: 3.7g Saturated fat: 0.5g Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g Protein: 2.5g Carbohydrate: 16.7g Fiber: 4.9g Cholesterol: 0.0mg Iron: 1.1mg Sodium: 253mg Calcium: 67mg