Healthy Shephard's Pie


Grab a piece of paper and a pen cuz you're gonna wanna write this recipe down!!  This recipe calls for sweet potatoes, but if you want to skip the pototoes all together, try using this Creamy Mashed Cauliflower recipe as a substitute!! Since the whole purpose of this blog is to make healthy recipes, I'm going to use ground turkey instead of ground beef, but you can use the leanest ground round if you'd like.


Your first step, is to peel and cube 3 sweet potatoes and get them boiling till they are fork soft, ( soft enough that the fork easily goes thru the potato.) Now for my Sheperd's Pie, I did both, Sweet Potatoes on one side and Creamy Mashed Cauliflower on the other because I couldn't make up my mind...Imagine that. HA! 



Second...Brown 2 lbs of  ground turkey, then set it aside in a different bowl.  While your turkey is browning, dice up 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks and an onion ( depending on how much you like onion is the size you put in.. I LOVE onion so I put half of a red onion and half of a Vadalia onion) Mushrooms are optional but I put them in everything so I added about 5 button mushrooms too.


Drizzle some Olive oil in your skillet once you've put the turkey in another bowl then add your chopped Celery, carrots and onions and saute them till the carrots get a little soft, depending on how soft or hard you like them. When they are the way you like them, add the turkey back in to the skillet with the veggies ( I had to transfer it all to a big old pot cuz my skillet wasn't big enough).  Now add your mushrooms if you want, then add a bag of frozen peas, (if you like tomatoes, throw a can of those bad boys in there) and a can of tomato paste. Add 1 tsp. of sage, 1 tsp. of oregano and 1tsp cumin.  you might want to add some garlic and onion powder or whatever other spices you like and obviously Salt and pepper. Mix it all up and throw it in a casserole dish.  Well, Please don't throw it, you'll have a major mess!!

DONT' FORGET YOU HAVE SWEET POTATOES BOILING!!



Mix it all up and throw it in a casserole dish.  Well, Please don't throw it, you'll have a major mess!! Now, go and drain those yummy sweet potatoes and mash em up with some milk just like you would do with regular mashed potatoes. (or the cauliflower if that's what you're using.   Add a little salt and pepper and a dash of hot sauce...oh yea...I said it...Hot sauce!! My FAVORITE hot sauce is Sriracha


 Ok so now you spread your taters or "fake" taters (mashed cauliflower) over the top. Like I said, I did mine half and half.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 min...Let it set for 10 minutes then DIG IN BABY!!



1 comment:

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...