The brilliant method of toasting BLTs in a coating of crispy bread crumbs takes these sandwiches from satisfying to spectacular. Joyce Moul - York Haven, PA
I titled this post as Interesting Italian BLT's because I would have NEVER thought to use Italian dressing (instead of butter) or bread crumbs to make it crispy!! YUMMO!
- 2 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 4 teaspoons fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Nutritional Facts 1 sandwich equals 272 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Italian BLTs in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p29